Photo: Lisa Derickx, Invasive Species Research Institute
Instructions for Authors
Guidelines for Speakers
- The Session Room will be equipped with one screen and one data projector, a podium microphone, a wireless lapel microphone, a PC laptop computer and a laser pointer. If you require any other equipment, please advise the Conference’s Event Administrator no later than July 16, 2012.
- The laptop computers will be operating Windows XP with Adobe Acrobat and PowerPoint 2007.
- Your presentation must be submitted in either PowerPoint 2007 or Adobe Acrobat to ensure problem-free operation during the sessions. If you will be using a later version of PowerPoint, please be sure to back-save to PowerPoint 2007.
- Save your slide deck using the naming convention: FirstName_Surname.ppt (e.g., John_Smith.ppt).
- Macintosh computer users should convert their slide decks to run on a PC and be sure to test the presentation on a PC before arriving at the Conference. Otherwise please bring your own laptop computer with the presentation installed and meet with the A/V Technician the evening before your presentation to ensure that the correct cabling, etc. is available.
- If your presentation requires software other than PowerPoint or Adobe Acrobat, please bring your own laptop computer with the presentation installed and meet with the A/V Technician the evening before your presentation to ensure that the correct cabling, etc. is available.
- If you require wiring to a sound system for embedded audio clips, etc. please notify the Conference Administrator of your specific requirements no later than July 16, 2012.
- Slide Deck Fonts: Use standard fonts in your presentation, as found in the default Microsoft library such as Arial or Times New Roman. A minimum font size of 24 pt is recommended.
- Hyperlinks: Do not use online hyperlinks as part of your presentation as there will be no active Internet connectivity in the Session Room.
- Images, Videos and Animations: To ensure that presentations remain as close to the original as possible, images should be inserted from within PowerPoint using the “Insert Image” command (i.e., do not drag and drop from other applications). Your movie files will not work if they have not been copied onto the presentation laptop computer. Therefore please ensure you have copies of the videos and animations when you arrive at the conference.
- Video Codecs: Make sure that codecs used for compressed animation and video files are generic codecs, not video hardware-specific codecs.
- Mac-produced Presentations: Videos embedded in Mac produced presentations will not automatically play on the PC platform. The files will need to be converted from .mov to .avi format or a link will need to be created within the slide show to an external .mov file (in which case the animation will play in a separate QuickTime window, outside the PowerPoint presentation). Presenters are strongly encouraged to test their Mac-produced presentations on a Windows XP PC before arriving at the meeting.
If you have any questions about preparation or submission of slide decks, please contact the Conference Administrator, Elizabeth Muckle-Jeffs: Elizabeth@theprofessionaledge.com
Submitting Slide Decks
- Speakers are not permitted to load their slide decks onto computers in the Session Room.
- All speakers must submit their presentations to the A/V Coordinator at the Speaker A/V Check-in Desk to ensure they are loaded correctly for each Session.
- Please bring a copy of your slide deck on a USB portable memory drive or CD and provide it to the A/V Coordinator at the Speaker A/V Check-in Desk according to the following schedule.
AM Tuesday, August 21
PM Tuesday, August 21
AM Wednesday, August 22
PM Wednesday, August 22
5:00 PM Monday, August 20
7:00 AM Tuesday, August 21
5:00 PM Tuesday, August 21
7:00 AM Wednesday, August 22
Guidelines for Poster Presenters
A display panel will be provided for your poster materials during the Conference. There are two parts to the display panel and you can elect to use the top two panels (67” high by 46.5” wide) or only the centre panel (50” high by 46.5” wide). Poster materials must be affixed to the panels using Velcro™, which will be provided.
The language for Poster materials is English and presenters are welcome to provide handouts associated with their research.
Poster presenters are responsible for the set-up and removal of their posters. Posters are to be set up between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm Monday, August 20 or between 7:00 and 8:00 am on Tuesday, August 21.
Poster presenters are required to be at their posters during the Poster Session Reception on Tuesday, August 21 from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm to discuss their research with Conference participants. Posters will remain on display until 12:30 pm Wednesday, August 22.
Posters are to be removed from the poster boards between 12:30 and 1:45 pm on Wednesday, August 22. The Organizing Committee does not take responsibility for poster materials not removed from poster boards by 1:45 pm on August 22.